How To Setup Redirects In WordPress For Better SEO & Smooth Website Migrations

Setting up redirects sounds so intimidating, but I am here to tell you that it’s not, in this tutorial I will show you how easy it is the set it all up. In the video I …

1. Darshan Sharma
    Darshan Sharma says:

Why did'nt you say anything about a scenario when you buy multiple domains and then redirect to you website. This is also doable via your doamin account for example i use godaddy. there you can just add your old domain and all pages will just direct to your home page and you can mask the redirect too. You manually dont have to add all your 100 pages and redirect them. Also i used it to redirect my old website url to my new website but the redirect is not working.

2. Allan Lau
    Allan Lau says:

Great content Adam! Quick question, is there any way to increase your Google engine search results? I've added key words but my website is still not showing in the first couple of searched pages. Could help me with any advise?

3. NOFOOD?
    NOFOOD? says:

I've tried multiple plugins and none have the ability to add rel =
    nofollow or noopener! None of these have the option? If you know how I
    can do this please help thank you!

4. Abri K
    Abri K says:

Thank you so much! This video was extremely helpful. I was searching for hours for help with this and luckily I found it all in one video. Thanks again!

5. Miltan ckm
    Miltan ckm says:

Hi Adam Preiser, At first to say that, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Today I have a problem with my niche website. If I remove my old image and upload a new image for the same keyword and alt text. Should I have to redirect?

6. Ana Fernandez
    Ana Fernandez says:

Hey Adam…Quick question! I am just changing the DOMAIN NAME of one of my websites. So, are REDIRECTS something you do AFTER you have moved the existing site to the NEW domain name? (Which would mean that until you enter all the redirects, the site will get 404 errors.) Correct?

7. Crazy Cat Coffee Ltd
    Crazy Cat Coffee Ltd says:

Hi – I have a WP site with SSL Cert but the URL is showing an exclamation – saying my site is not fully secured – I have installed Redirection plugin as you advise but I don't know what to put in the "Source URL" or the "Target URL" – could you help me please?

8. Food Lover's Kitchen
    Food Lover's Kitchen says:

How to add a redirect external waiting landing page for download button?
    (My website is freebies website. So I'm using other websites freebies adding in post as download button. But I need waiting specil landing page for 10sec for reaching their website. Please help me.)

9. Dan Hoang
    Dan Hoang says:

For my company, I have just acquired two other businesses and would want to take their websites and point them to my current website. How would you got about doing thisto preserve SEO value from the two other websites? Can I just 301 redirect the other domains to my current domain or would I need to take each individual page from both of those sites and 301 redirect them somewhere on my current site? Would I need to do this in the .htacess file?

10. Shaunie P
    Shaunie P says:

Hey Adam, thanks for that video.
    Question:
    Will this redirect work with redirecting the WooCommerce Shop Page URL to another page's URL. Particularly when wanting to change which page, (on your site) the WooCommerce buttons on the Checkout & Cart pages send a customer?

11. Stefan van Vliet
    Stefan van Vliet says:

Dear Adam, first of all i love your stuff and lots of thanks from the Netherlands. It have been really helpfull to me. but: When i read google documentation on removed pages/404/redirect etc. One thing popped up and confused me. Google says the following thing on their website ( i copied and paste): 1)Most 404 errors don't affect your site's ranking in Google, so you can safely ignore them. 2)Decide if it's worth fixing. Many (most?) 404 errors are not worth fixing. Here's why:Sort your 404s by priority and fix the ones that need to be fixed. You can ignore the other ones, because 404s don't harm your site's indexing or ranking. 3)If it is a deleted page that has no replacement or equivalent, returning a 404 is the right thing to do.
    If it is a bad URL generated by a script, or that never have existed on your site, it's probably not a problem you need to worry about. It might bother you to see it on your report, but you don't need to fix it, unless the URL is a commonly misspelled link (see below). …And the one that scared me the most 😉 (Once Google has successfully crawled a URL, it can try to crawl that URL forever. Issuing a 300-level redirect will delay the recrawl attempt, possibly for a very long time.) So…Do you think it is ok for non techs to download a plugin and start redirecting like that?

12. Social Media Expeditors
    Social Media Expeditors says:

Hey Adam: I just created a completely new site for a client – same domain but a different set of pages. When I search the client's business on Google, all of the pages for the old site still pull up – including some that were schema! Of course, all of the links go to pages that don't exist on the new site. Do I need to find all these old pages and set up redirects to similar pages on the new site? Hoping not to tank this client's rankings by messing this up!

13. Martin Hamilton
    Martin Hamilton says:

I understand if in Redirection plugin if in "When matched" you choose "Pass-through" the destination url will show my site page url. That is great for affiliate marketing. Choose 301.

14. neal umphred
    neal umphred says:

ADAM

Thanks for this tutorial!

Now, what do I do with the old posts that have been redirected to a new URL—should I leave them published, change them to draft mode, or put them in the trash?

Keep on keepin' on!

NEAL

15. Daniel Doherty
    Daniel Doherty says:

Thanks Adam for the insights. Any clues on doing WILDCARD 301 redirects in .htaccess from one domain to another where the URL hierarchy is the same just different top level domain?

16. Janne S
    Janne S says:

Another Good video Thanks!

I checked the Redirection plugin and it actually has some automatic features now:

from Plugin description
    "Why would I want to use this instead of .htaccess?
    Ease of use. Redirections are automatically created when a post URL changes, and it is a lot easier to manually add redirections than to hack around a .htaccess. You also get the added benefit of being able to keep track of 404 errors."

17. Danielle E.
    Danielle E. says:

Another great video Adam… you read my mind with this one! I just have one question since both your examples were about url's within the same website. Am I understanding correctly that if I have an old domain name from a site that I'm merging to become part of a new site with a completely different domain name, then using the free Redirection plug-in I simply enter the old domain name as the "source" url and it's new domain name (that's part of the new website) as the "target" url?

18. RKF Search Results
    RKF Search Results says:

Thanks Adam. I literally made a change to a couple of my pages yesterday and just used this. Thanks!!
    Been subscribed for a while and sticking to it!!

WOw, was just doing a followup on my Google Console and discovered a bunch of 404 errors. a bunch have "page-name/http://www.mydomain.com" weird, any idea how that would happen? Also seeing some with page names that shouldn't even be there. Like it was hacked. Running scan using WordFence now, though now been using iThemes since your video re WordPress slowing the site down.
    Thanks in advance.

19. Rachel PCI
    Rachel PCI says:

Great video Adam! I so needed this a month ago for a web-redesign and migration. I was trying to decide between Yoast and Redirection. I chose to use the paid Yoast plug-in and heavily relied on this for a variety of redirects. I created individual redirects, imported a bulk list of 200+, and I connected Google Search Console with Yoast and it will let me create redirects on the fly for 404 pages. Yoast even lets you view/edit the .htaccess file for those more complex redirects (such as http to https).

20. Kyle Van Deusen
    Kyle Van Deusen says:

One quest I had a while back, and I think I've gotten my answer, but you may have something to add or it could be helpful to your users.

Can creating too many 301 redirects be harmful?

I had a customers website I was completely revamping and switching platforms, which was around 50 pages. The structure of the old site was not what I'd want it to be, so I ended up going with different URL's for all but 3 of the pages. I created 47 301 redirects to ensure any old links to their site would not be broken once we switched.

The info that I found said that this is not a problem, and that it is unlikely this would do SEO harm with Google. Have you found this to be the case?